She Grind On My Essay Til I Submit

By Paikea Kelley

The ultimate study mix for CC students

Artwork by Paikea Kelley

No matter what your major or minor is, or, whatever lifestyle you live, this mix is for you. Indulge yourself with a few of these bangers next time you need a little extra boost. 

“Baby I’m Bleeding” – Jpeg Mafia

To start off, you need to get into the proper headspace before you can even sit down to look at your assignment(s). Kick off that grindset with Peggy. He is here for you when no one else is, the ultimate hype man you could say. He speaks to that dog inside all of us as he yells:

“When I hit the stage, niggas know it’s a payday”

You can’t help but exude confidence, since, yeah, when you hit the stage (walk into tutt library), everyone knows it’s a payday (time for you to study). 

*PSA: I’m black so I can say nigga (unlike most of you CC kids…)*

Hard” – No Jumper (feat. Tay-K and BlocBoy JB)

Now, you’ve opened up your computer. You think the hard part is yet to begin, but once that canvas tab loads, all hope is lost. Jaw agape, you’re left panicking, reminding yourself of Tay-K’s all too real bars:

“School is very hard”

But, don’t let that get you down cause you “rock like a guitar!” And don’t you ever forget that! 

Girls Just Want to Have Fun” – Bladee and Ecco2k

After the initial workload shock, a small few of you may be entering this stage in your homework journey. Now, I say this because in general, this stage would only pertain to and (or) motivate engineering, math, comp-sci, history, econ, or physics majors. Motivate them to drop out that is. Maybe set up an appointment with their advisor to discuss a new career path even? For those of you who fit within this niche criteria, I assume you’re constantly thinking to yourself “love me, touch me. Someone. Someone. Someone. Someone. Someone. Someone.” Or maybe something more along the lines of- is the money I am going to make after I graduate really worth it?

Levitating” – Dua Lipa (feat. DaBaby)

The caffeine has just kicked in, you’re feeling good, perhaps you’re in the mood for some affirmations. If so, may I suggest repeating “I’m one of the greatest, ain’t no debatin’ on it (Let’s go)” to yourself. Cause I know you are more than prepared to “go put some cheese on it” and maybe even to “get out and get your bread up (Yeah, yeah)”. 

A quick break from all the lyrics, think of this as a musical interlude:

Runway A – Death Grips

In Motion – Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross

Siklik hall – Stalebrain 

The Last Black Man In San Francisco – Emile Mosseri 

Romantika – Brutalismus 3000

These are all mostly instrumental, specifically for when you’re really getting into the thick of it. Your thesis is strong, those math equations are starting to make sense, you feel alive! 

Faceshopping” – SOPHIE

Just to remind yourself that you’re givingggggg in the library right now and everyone knows it. Your face is “the front of shop”! Slay! 

Sing About Me, I’m Dying Of Thirst” – Kendrick Lamar

You’ve stopped giving, the grind, the rush, the excitement. It’s all gone. You ask yourself, is this really what you want to be doing with your life? Stuck in the library for hours on end. Day in and day out! Oh gosh, who even invented the block plan and OH gosh how hard you’ve fallen victim to it. Instead of innovating on the block plan, you’re left curled up in a ball on the fourth floor of the library thinking to yourself  “am I worth it? Did I put enough work in?” 

We Can’t Afford (Your Depression Anymore)” – Car Seat Headrest

Snap out of it! You need to get that money up, not your funny up! The grindset is back on! After all…it is classy Wednesday. 

Panic” – The Smiths 

Classic song for when you check the time and realize the party is starting soon. And if they dare start without you, you might possibly “hang the DJ, hang the DJ, hang the DJ. Hang the DJ, hang the DJ, hang the DJ. Hang the DJ, hang the DJ, hang the DJ.” Or even, “hang the DJ, hang the DJ, hang the DJ.”

Benny And The Jets” – Beastie Boys, Biz Markie

What the phone call from your friend sounds like as they’re telling you that the pregame started thirty minutes ago…

(If you only listen to one song out of this whole playlist, I suggest it be this one.)

(If you don’t have any friends, this does not pertain to you…)

No One Lives Forever” – Oingo Boingo

Get that homework done so you can go party! YOLO!

Black Skinhead” – Kanye West

An essential song needed to bring you back to reality. To remind yourself that no party will actually play music this good. So maybe there’s no point in trying to finish before the (probably lame) party starts. 

Thos Moser” – Food House, Gupi, Fraxion 

One of the hardest, most relatable bars out of this playlist, it’s pretty self explanatory: “Can I get paid yet?” You’re not getting this degree for fun! 

But seriously, this song is the icing on top of your homework cake. The cherry brilliantly placed upon your delicious Josh and John’s sundae. You will for sure “turn heads like a DJ twist their dial” in class tomorrow. You know you’re most likely the only person who has actually completed their work, and you should be proud of yourself! Homework nine times out of ten is more fun than Sig Chi anyways (full offense). 

So…Congratulations. You have survived the night! Like many of us, as you’re packing up, you must be thinking to yourself “I’m in a mood, I haven’t been outside today. I’m stepping out” of the library and it’s 12 AM so “I’m about to fuck McDonald’s up! (Fuck McDonald’s up!)” 

Stop Smoking (We Love You)” – Car Seat Headrest 

As you’re leaving the lib, exhausted from that grueling study sesh, it wouldn’t be very Colorado College of you if you just went straight home. No, I bet you would love to rip through an entire pack of cigarettes like there is no tomorrow. But! I beg you to listen to this song before you walk to your smoke spot. Let it transport you as Will Toledo begs you to “stop smoking” because “we love you”. Please “stop smoking, we love you. Stop smoking, we love you” and “we don’t want you to die. We don’t want you to die. We don’t want you to die.”

Stay safe and happy grinding. 

Click here for the link to the playlist (songs are in the order of which you read them.)