June 17 & 18
Edith Kinney Gaylord Cornerstone Arts Center Main Space
- Tuesday, June 17 at 9:30pm. Special Preview Performance after the Summer Music Festival Orchestral Concert on Tickets to Orchestra Concert required. $25 available at Worner Center Desk.
- Wednesday, June 18 at 5:30pm. Free public performance. No tickets required
This collaborative performance presents three interpretations of Jane Hilberry’s poem Sand. The project began when Hilberry, a professor English at Colorado College and award-winning poet, met composer Gabriel Globus-Hoenich at an artist residency at the Banff Center in Alberta, Canada. During the residency, Globus-Hoenich created the jazz composition that forms the nexus of the current collaboration. Variations on “Sand” includes an expressive movement piece for two dancers created by Shawn Womack, Associate Professor of Dance at Colorado College, and a video installation created by Patrizia Herminjard, Artist-in-Residence and Lecturer in Dance at Colorado College. Variations on “Sand” is presented in celebration of the 30th anniversary of Colorado College’s Summer Music Festival.
“Sand” is written and read by Jane Hilberry;
The video installation was created by Patrizia Herminjard, and features dancers Anusha Kedhar and Marin Day
Choreography is by Shawn Womack, and features dancers Mary Ripper Baker and Aoi Koenig
The composition inspired by “Sand” is created by Gabriel Globus-Hoenich and features:
- Lila Mori, Vocals
- Jana Lee Ross, Vocals and Piano
- Bambam Rodriguez, Bass Guitar
- Tim Wendel, Guitar
- Gabriel Globus-Henich, Percussion