Below are the notes from the January 27, 2016 division meeting:
- Paul Kuerbis – Ombudsperson to introduce himself and talk a little about the ombuds office
- Budget – Brian
- ITS: Interview – Angie will be sharing her summary about Randy Babb
- Negotiation Training Overview – Vish will share what he learned at a recent training class he went to, as well as conduct a group activity
- Other Business — Everyone
1) Brian introduced Paul Kuerbis.
Paul gave a brief history of ombuds. As the ombudsperson, Paul reports to the Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees. His services are available to every staff member. He is not a formal reporting avenue, nor does he perform investigations.
The ombud’s principles are confidential, informal, independent and neutral. More details about the principles and the ombuds office services can be found in the ombuds office brochure. Angie has copies if you’d like one or you are welcome to contact Paul for a copy (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Paul’s office is currently located in Tutt Library #212. He will have a new location once the library renovations start.
2) Brian noted that he’s been asked budget-related questions in the staff one-on-one meetings.
Due to campus contingency funds being unavailable this fiscal year, ITS: needed to pay back part of the $1.4 million invested in the network upgrade during the last fiscal year (2014-2015). The $917,000 that was to be added to the ITS: operating budget (beginning in 2015-2016 and to continue in an ongoing basis) was used to do this (minus a small portion that was used to create a position within the division).
For the 2016-2017 fiscal year, there is a potential that half of the additional $917,000 could be used for a payback to cover part of the approximately $1 million spent on the network upgrade in the 2015-2016 fiscal year. This would occur only if there are no campus contingency funds available.
Endowment funds are not available for use. Brian will provide updates about the budget process and what funds ITS: will have in the coming fiscal year as they become available.
3) Due to time running out, the remaining items will be shared at future division meetings.
Thank you, Angie, for taking great notes!
ITS:Always fun, never boring