Hi, I’m Melanie and I’m a Molecular Biology major!

For the past three weeks I have been taking MB325 – Immunology, which has been taught by Dr. Olivia Hatton. This block has been super interesting and relevant towards our current climate!

Although, learning about the immune system has required me to pay attention to a lot of tiny details. It has been really interesting learning about how our immune system worked.

Our first week of class gave an overview of our immune system as well as the innate immune system. To give a brief overview, our innate immune system is what we’re born with and they are first line of defense against pathogens, such as bacteria, viruses, and parasites. Some of the main components of this system include our skin and our mucus membranes. The first week of class was a tad bit overwhelming, but I was excited to learn how our bodies work to fight against bacteria when it entered our body. Our second and third week of class focused primarily on the smaller details of our immune system, such as T cells and B cells and their development and activation.

I didn’t realize that our immune system was comprised of so many components and this class has really given me a better appreciation for our immune system. Especially considering how we did have a COVID outbreak during this block. Learning about how our immune system works gave me a better understanding for how COVID can get into our bodies and attack.

While Immunology does have a lot of details to work through, I have really enjoyed the format of the class and learning about how our bodies work!

Published by Melanie

Hi! I'm Melanie and I'm a junior majoring in Molecular Biology and I am currently in Dr. Olivia Hatton's Immunology class. I am originally from Wichita, Kansas and I have always loved biology and learning about the human body. I am hoping to attend medical school in the future!