The City of Valdez (Alaska) Parks, Recreation & Cultural Services Department (PRCS) is seeking two (2) highly motivated and energetic applicants to apply for an internship in the field of parks & recreation with a focus on outdoor recreation, natural resource stewardship, and environmental education through its all new Valdez Eco-Stewardship Program (VESP).
ANTICIPATED INTERNSHIP DATES:
June 7 – August 13 (10 weeks; flexible depending on school requirements and dates).
The City of Valdez, Alaska is a vibrant rural community of ~3,800 year-round residents. Valdez is situated in the picturesque Prince William Sound surrounded by the breathtaking Chugach Mountains and located approximately 300 miles (5 hr. drive) east and south from Anchorage and 360 miles south of Fairbanks (6 hr. drive). Valdez and the surrounding area is home to an abundance of wildlife, scenic landscapes, and outdoor recreation opportunities.
Applicants should review the following requirements prior to applying.
Be currently enrolled at an institution of higher education.
Possess knowledge and/or experience working within the fields of park & recreation, outdoor recreation, natural resource stewardship, and/or environmental education.
Possess proficient computer skills, strong written and oral communication skills.
Possess a strong interest in learning all aspects of parks & recreation, including but not limited to: programming, leadership, logistics, risk management, staff development & training, and marketing.
Demonstrate good leadership, sound judgment and the ability to adapt to new situations.
Outdoor recreation experience (Ex. NOLS, Outward Bound, or similar coursework)
Leadership in an outdoor recreation/educational setting
Trail maintenance or construction
Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
Outdoor recreation certifications (climbing, kayaking, hiking/backpacking, etc.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Interns will primarily be responsible for leading the six-week Valdez Eco-Stewardship Program, including the daily supervision of eight high school students. Interns will be assigned tasks by the Recreation Manager or designee with the goal of providing a well-rounded and comprehensive internship experience. Interns will be given numerous opportunities to be involved in all aspects of Parks & Recreation operations, including co-leading trips, coordinating logistics, and leading programs. Interns can expect to gain professional experience with program operations, risk management, and fiscal management.
- Act as the primary program leader for the Valdez Eco-Stewardship Program.
- Lead and mentor VESP students and other program participants as assigned.
- Develop one new program that is “turn-key” ready.
- Work in a variety of department functions, including programming, customer service, special events, outdoor/adventure education, and park & trail maintenance.
- Work a minimum of 37.5 hours/week, with additional work hours as assigned to include days, nights, weekends, and holidays when needed.
- COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Interns will be provided with the following compensation and benefits during their internship.
- $7,000 Stipend
- Airfare reimbursement (not to exceed $750 round trip)
- Housing assistance of $500/month
- Free Rec Pass for access to the Valdez City Pool and 10% off Parks & Recreation programs.
Prospective applicants should submit a letter of interest and resume to Jared Lustig, Recreation Manager, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed with success applicants contacted for an interview. The due date for applicants is Friday, March 5, 2021.