The Development and Design path at McMaster-Carr is an opportunity to gain experience in software development, design, and technical project management. Regardless of prior experience, you’ll develop skills in all of those areas, build software that will be used by our employees and customers, and be involved in major business decisions.
Who We Are / What We Do:
McMaster-Carr has provided customers with industrial supplies for over a century, and the Systems Department operates like a modern tech company. We are a collection of designers, developers, data gurus and project managers who build business solutions through technology. Teams work on our website’s design and functionality, launch and manage highly-rated iPad and iPhone apps, and improve the internal software that runs our operation.
What You Will Be Doing:
Although no two people follow the same path at McMaster-Carr, your role will likely involve:
- Training – Technical orientation serves as an introduction to the company and teaches the basics of programming and our systems. You will learn about our development process and complete a capstone project with a group of your peers.
- Software Development – We work like a tech company and that means we build software. Don’t know how to do that? You’ll learn. Already an expert? We have plenty of work to keep you captivated.
- Design – From the ways we present information to our iPhone App’s user interface, we practice and expose people to design thinking.
- Research/Analysis – We drive our software development by understanding company and customer needs and vet our project decisions with hard data.
- Implementation – Once the software is built, watch your work come alive for customers.
- Having Fun – We are a work hard/play hard bunch. Ask anyone in the department – the people you work with are one of the best aspects of the job.
What We Offer:
We strive to attract top talent through challenging work and compelling benefits. Here are some of the perks we offer:
- Competitive salaries
- 100% graduate school tuition reimbursement
- Extensive health benefits
- Commitment to work-life balance
What We’re Looking For
- Passion for Learning: We value all types of learners and look for smart people who love a challenge. Painters, physicists, poets and more create a culture of innovation that makes our work better.
- Ambition and Impact: We are looking for people who dream big and have an impact. We like people who have made a difference in groups/organizations that are important to them.
- Curiosity and Resourcefulness: We will set you up with the tools to succeed (through training, mentoring, and a supportive work environment), but solutions aren’t always clear-cut. If you’re a puzzle-minded person who isn’t afraid to roll up your sleeves and do some digging, let’s talk.
Submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.