Located in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, in Tamassee SC, Camp Ghigau serves male adolescents, ages 13-18, referred by the Department of Juvenile Justice. These boys have been termed status offenders (status offenses are things such as truancy, behavior problems, breaking of school policies, etc.). The primary educational goals for the program: behavior modification, improve study skills, and to create a passion for learning. Learning is enhanced by focusing on some of the following areas: experiential based learning, social skills, vocational skills, daily living skills, recreational (both traditional activities as well as low and high ropes activities) etc. These areas are focused on in hopes of enabling them to trust, grow, and lead. The program will work with a maximum of 28 boys at a time and staff will have flexible work schedules. There will be many chances to pick up trainings and experience that add to an instructor’s knowledge.
- Scheduling, supervising, and coordinating juvenile activities at the camp
- Provide teaching, crisis intervention, orientation of new juveniles, and serves as a treatment team member
- Perform administrative duties as required, including oral or written reports, headcounts, clinical notes, etc.
- Assigns and supervises duties and activities of volunteers; make community contacts as needed
- Provides or arranges transportation to facilitate activities and off-site services
- Supervises sanitation and maintenance procedures to ensure cleanliness and orderliness of the facility and the general health/safety of the residents
- Residential duties on certain nights
- Monitors safety and security procedures for the facility
- BA or BS in Outdoor Education, Adventure Programming, Social Sciences, Youth Development, or other related field is preferred
- Experience working with at-risk students preferred
- Must have patience, understanding, flexibility, and a lot of energy
- Must demonstrate teaching skills and the ability to implement creative “hands-on” teaching methods
- Must be willing to sacrifice, adapt, and work hard as part of a team pursuing an objective
- Must be physically able to perform the tasks required to teach outdoors
Pay: $10.00/hour with room, board and sickness/accidental insurance included