The Comprehensive Planning Department is looking for an intern to assist and support with projects and plans to include GIS database maintenance, research, and data analysis. The position would also be responsible for supporting neighborhood/community planning, corridor plan updates, and assisting with graphic product layouts. .
Normal work hours: Approximately 12-20 hours per week, Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8:00 am and 5:00 pm,
Essential Job Functions – the basic job duties an employee must be able to perform:
- Assist with continuing planning efforts for the City neighborhood planning initiative
- Support the Annexation Plan update and other Planning Reports
- Update the infill development project GIS database
- Assist with Land Use Review research
- Answer questions from the public related to the City Code
We are looking for candidates who demonstrate:
- An interest in the City of Colorado Springs and its physical development, existing and future communities, and connectivity to the greater Pikes Peak region.
- Representation of the City of Colorado Springs Professionally and tactfully
- Communication with tact and diplomacy to citizens, elected officials, and staff
- Be a team player, remain flexible, and work effectively in a diverse workforce
- Adapt quickly to the team’s needs
- Close attention to detail and check quality of own work
- Use proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation
Successful candidate will: Be enrolled as a full-time Junior/Senior undergraduate or graduate student
Ideal candidates will also:
- Be working towards a degree in a field directly or indirectly related to the development of community, sense of place, and civic pride and engagement (i.e. Architecture, Geography, History, Planning, Music, etc.)
- Have coursework and/or experience with aspects of urban planning, long-range planning, urban redevelopment, public policy, civic engagement, stakeholder participation, and governance
- Effectively use publication design software (Adobe InDesign)
- Have knowledge and competence with Microsoft Office and the ESRI ArcGIS systems and software
- Please visit Colorado Springs Jobs and click on ‘Apply for a City Career’ > ‘City Career Postings – Apply Now’ button to complete an online application. All job applicants will need to create a new login and online application (unless you already have a NEOGOV/governmentjobs.com user ID and password).
- DEADLINE: 9/9/2021
- Completing your application in full, including the entire work experience section, will assist Human Resources (HR) in the applicant screening process. Your application may not be considered if all of the information requested for each employer you list is not provided.
- Our NEOGOV application system does not allow you to edit your application after it has been submitted for a position. If you want to make changes, you may submit another application prior to the position’s closing date and time listed in the job posting. HR will review the last application you submit for a position.
To be notified of future career opportunities, go to coloradosprings.gov/jic