#GRADSCHOOLBOUND: Chris Martin ‘18

After graduating, Chris will head to Denver to begin earning his JD at the University of Denver’s Sturm College of Law.

I am extremely excited to have the opportunity to continue my education at the University of Denver Sturm College of Law. I am very blessed to have been admitted, and I believe that law is something that not only interests me, but something that I could do well in.

As I prepare to begin law school in the fall, I am not sure what I expect to learn. I am going in with an open mind, as my interests are varied and I am not sure exactly what I want to focus on yet. Having majored in economics, business or corporate law is something that naturally interests me. Additionally, because sports have been such a big part of my life for so long, doing something involving athletics would also be interesting. Finally, because I used the Prison Project in the writing of my senior thesis to write about the disparity in incarceration rates between races, law pertaining to mass incarceration and reform in the prison system is something that interests me as well. As such, I am extremely excited to have the opportunity to learn new things, and am looking forward to seeing what I end up choosing to study.

As you consider graduate school, one piece of advice I have is to do everything early. Because it is rolling admission, the sooner you get all of your applications, scores, letters of recommendation, and transcripts submitted, the better. Additionally, get involved! Find something on campus that interests you and get involved. Community service is another fantastic way to get involved – you get to make a positive difference in the lives of those around you, and community service can open up a wealth of opportunities for you as you continue on in education.

Finally, don’t stress about the standardized tests for grad school. They are important, but they are not the only thing that schools consider. You are more than a test score, and your application will reflect that. Schools like good test scores, but they love students who are involved and do more than just get a perfect score on the admissions test. So my best advice would be to branch out, get involved, and have fun learning about new things!

Congratulations, Chris!

If you want to be featured with #hired or #gradschoolbound, you can connect with us on:

Facebook: Like our page, then post what you’re up to this summer on our wall with #hired or #gradschoolbound. Include your name, class year, title/company or name of school/program, and a picture!

Instagram: Follow us, then post your picture with the info above and #hired or #gradschoolbound, and tag us @cc_career_center.

Or email us!

Just tell us your title and organization, and why you chose your internship, position, or grad/professional program; what you are most excited about or hoping to learn through this experience; and any advice you have for other CC students as they continue their internship or job search.

Thank you for sharing your plans with us!

Working hard, but not hired yet? Don’t panic—be proactive. We’re here for you! Make an appointment with a coach.