Are you interested in helping be responsible for the business management of projects ranging from $1 million to $4 billion? How about taking part in key forecasting and accounting practices? If this is something that interests you, Kiewit is looking for individuals who can make a profound impact on our company culture every day!
At Kiewit, the scale of our operations is huge. Our construction and engineering projects span across the United States, Canada and Mexico, improving and connecting communities with every initiative. We depend on our high-performing operations support professionals — they’re the glue that holds multiple areas of the business together and the catalysts that make things happen. We hire only the most driven people and we offer them diverse career opportunities, strong leadership and mentorship, rewarding, collaborative work, and responsibility they won’t find just anywhere. We’re always pushing new limits. You can too.
The Business Manager is an entry level role focused on supporting a project in accounting and finance related functions. Each project at Kiewit is run like a small business, with the Business Manager concentrated on critical tasks such as cost control, payroll, accounts payable/receivable, human capital management, and compliance. This position will become skilled executing processes and utilizing tools related to different types of cost and revenue components such as labor, construction equipment, materials, and subcontracts. The Business Manager will be an integral part of the month end close out process, and assist with preparing a financial reporting package for project management.
We have projects all across the United States, in large cities and small towns, so our people must be willing to go where the work is. Job assignment location will be determined closer to your start date. Must be able to relocate anywhere in the country for this role.
• Recognizes the importance of being a team player by adapting to project needs and helping in other areas as needed
• Fosters relationships with the Operations team and shows a willingness to learn about the work
• Understands the payroll and HR process workflow, and masters the systems used to properly hire, transfer, terminate, and pay all employees
• Comprehends how goods are purchased, invoices are received and paid, and maintains purchasing workflow internal controls
• Demonstrates understanding of the accounts payable process workflow and is able troubleshoot payment or vendor issues
• Understands intercompany and client billing process workflow, importance of timely and accurate billing documentation, and the effects of timeliness on cash management
• Ensures that all cost and cost adjustments are reviewed for accuracy to meet company standards and accounting rules
• Reviews costs, quantity claiming, budget structure and exception reports and makes appropriate corrections to ensure accurate reporting for management
• Identifies, adjusts, and reviews forecast and budget issues with the cost report to confirm proper recognition of cost and revenue
• Displays first-rate customer service skills – maintains a positive attitude and always willing to offer a helping hand to other team members
• Maintains highly organized work environment, understands importance of time management, and communicates in a clear, concise and effective manner
• Follows the Corporate Compliance Program and works in conjunction with the compliance department to implement all EEO and labor laws at the project level
• 0 – 2 years of financial/data analysis experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Statistics, Business Management, and/or equivalent degree
• Minimum GPA of 3.0 or above
• Ability to relocate anywhere in the country
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook
• Travel and/or relocation may be required for this position (up to 50%)
• Experience working with Pivot Tables, V-Look Ups, and other key excel functions is preferred
• Effective communication (both oral and written), organization and interpersonal skills.
• Good attention to detail with the ability to recognize discrepancies
• Positive attitude, eagerness to learn, and passionate for continuous improvement
• Must be able to freely access all parts of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environments
• Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team.
• Ability to work in the United States without sponsorship, both now and in the future
• Must have a valid Driver’s License
• Previous internship experience is preferred
Other common names for this role: Business Manager, Business Analyst, Financial Analyst
As one of North America’s largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2017 revenues of $8.7 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, and Mexico through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 22,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built into every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Top-tier health, dental and vision insurance available from Day One of employment
• 401K savings plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent of base pay
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.