The MADE (Marketing and Advertising Education) internship is a leadership development program for students interested in becoming the future leaders of the marketing and advertising industry. Founded by the ANA Educational Foundation, the MADE internship places you in a summer intern program at one of more than 50 marketing, advertising, or media companies, with participants including MasterCard, IBM, Sephora, McCann, mcgarry bowen, and Ogilvy & Mather. Positioned as the “common app” for summer intern programs, this paid program is designed to provide students with the skills, the mentors, and the training that will help you thrive in the industry. Ad Age recently profiled the MADE program which launched just last year.
The Summer Internship Experience Itself: You will be part of a structured paid summer program at one of our host companies. You will be assigned a manager and also, in most cases, have a project to work on for the entire summer with a team. The expectation is that each summer program will deliver a meaningful work experience that gives you significant exposure to what skills you need in the marketing and advertising industry to be a future leader.
Preparation for the Summer Experience: For those who do get offers, we plan to provide you with the following:
- Spring Semester Training – We will gear you up for your summer intern program by providing you with training during the spring semester. We will connect you with industry leaders who will make sure you are briefed on the hottest topics that the industry is facing. We will also will make sure you get the appropriate soft skills training, such as basic presentation skills and running effective meetings, so you are set up for success.
- Mentorship – You will be assigned a mentor from our AEF network who can serve as a resource for you over the course of the summer and beyond. We want them to be a sounding board for you outside of your structured program for your own personal and professional growth.
- A Place for Your Impressions– Throughout the process, we will be asking for feedback on your experience in the program.
- Alumni Group Formation – This process doesn’t end after you finish your internship. It continues on, as we want you to be part of an alumni group that provides feedback to future applicants. We want to see you develop and be successful enough to serve as a future talent ambassador.
Due to company demand, we are only looking for current juniors and seniors. If you’re not yet into your junior year, we’ll see you soon!
The Application Process
- Submit the Basics – A resume that includes your school, GPA, and other basic information.
- Academic Recommendation – You’ll need just one one professor recommendation. This is important to get a sense of your intellectual curiosity.
- Traits Assessment Test – We also want you to take a traits assessment test. It’s not to eliminate anyone from contention. In fact, it’s designed to help you understand your work behavior better and see what fit you have in specific industries.
- Seven Interview Questions – You will be asked to record yourself and respond to six interview questions, which you will submit to our platform. It’s a chance to see your passion, your emotion, and your thinking on why this industry might be a great fit for you.
- Final Interview – We hope to interview as many candidates as possible for this program. We would love to do these in person. But realistically, most of them will be done by video. Then, based on this total process, we will start matching you with the host company who might want to do one last conversation before you get accepted to the program.
Timeline: Submit the full application by Friday, January 18th. We will be interviewing candidates on a rolling basis, so the earlier you apply, the better the chances you will be considered. The spring semester training will start in early March. MADE interns will typically stare in June.
Check out complete details and learn more about the ANA Educational Foundation.