About the Student Conservation Association
Founded in 1957, the Student Conservation Association, Inc., is a national nonprofit organization that advocates for the environment. SCA leads the nation in providing conservation service opportunities, outdoor skills and leadership training. Every year, in all 50 states, thousands of high school, college, graduate students and others join the association to work for national parks and forests, historic and cultural resources, and urban green spaces. SCA’s mission is to build the next generation of conservation leaders and inspire lifelong stewardship of the environment and communities by engaging young people in hands-on service to the land.
- Present environmental education programs for youth aged K-12 at Houston Parks and Recreation Department (HPARD) community centers. Assist in the development of education and interpretive programs on topics such as wildlife, habitat, restoration, pollinators, and nature in the Houston metropolitan area.
- Working with Houston Community Partnerships & Engagement (HCP&E) staff, develop multimedia products for outreach and education purposes.
- Assist with and present programs for Virtually Wild!Texas, a virtual program conducted in the field to share nature with youth who may not have the opportunity to get outdoors. Incumbent will assist with computer and video technology, presentation research and preparation, and on camera presentations.
- Prepare weekly social media postings as part of the HCP&E Communications Plan. Identify and develop potential social media stories to be shared through photos and video.
- Gain hands-on experience working with refuge staff and partners on habitat restoration, biological monitoring, and outdoor recreation/visitor services programs in and around Houston.
- Participate in training for program-related skills and job shadowing and training to build program-related skills and certifications.
- Maintain HCP&E data through weekly updates to program tracking spreadsheets. Maintain program materials and tools, including vehicles, EE materials and more.
- Other duties may be assigned during the term of this internship, as priorities and opportunities for partnerships to connect urban audiences with nature arise.