10 Things About: Don Bricker, Associate Director of the Career Center

Don BrickerWhat does your job entail?
I work with the Career Center team to ensure that we provide services to our students that enhance their professional development skills and tools to take advantage of opportunities. One of my primary responsibilities is the coordination of daily Career Center operations. Along with the director and other members of the staff, my job involves executing the components of the Strategic Plan involving the Career Center, working to help build relationships across campus and expanding opportunities in the business community. I’m also responsible for working to improve business processes, manage various projects and work with our student interns.

How do you think your position will impact CC?
I come to CC from the business community and, hopefully, provide the perspective of someone with a good understanding of what employers are looking for from our students. I hope that over time a significant amount of what I’ve learned throughout my career prior to coming to CC can be useful to students and colleagues.

Where did you work before CC and what were you doing?
Prior to CC, I was vice president for suburban publishing at Shaw Media in Illinois. Before that I worked as a newspaper publisher, and in executive leadership roles in media sales and operations. My background includes four years in Colorado Springs between 2000 and 2004 at The Gazette as vice president and associate publisher.

What do you bring to this job?
I bring extensive experience building my own career and working with numerous people to develop their skills and advance their careers. I get significant satisfaction from helping people tell their stories in ways that successfully connect them to opportunities.  

What are some personal or professional experiences you’ve had either at CC or outside of it that play into your current role?
With more than 30 years of management experience, nearly all in positions which required recruiting and hiring, I believe I am able to help students and staff navigate the expectations and hiring process of prospective employers.

Who/what was the biggest influence on you?
My wife, Karen, has been the greatest influence in my life. She is always interested in making the most of life, having new experiences, and has a phenomenal work ethic. Since we met, she has consistently inspired me to work to become a better version of myself. I can honestly say that her contributions have helped me become much more successful in all phases of life.

What have you noticed about CC?
CC is a real community, much more so than I’ve experienced in private industry. Everyone I’ve encountered has a sincere interest in the best interests of our students and is proud of Colorado College and what it stands for. I really enjoy the Career Center team; they have been incredibly helpful, kind, and caring as I work to navigate a significant career transition.

Tell us a little about your background.
I am a native of the south side of Chicago (a lifelong White Sox fan) and have a degree in management. My wife Karen and I have three grown children and a 16-month old grandson, Caleb. I’ve previously worked in California (twice), Chicago (twice), Ohio, and Colorado. We decided long ago that we wanted to return to Colorado Springs permanently and we’re excited to home.

What do you like to do when not working?
I play softball as often as possible, and I enjoy golfing and spending time with family and friends.

Wild card: What is something people don’t know about you?
I’ve enjoyed comic books since childhood and am especially partial to Batman.

One reply on “10 Things About: Don Bricker, Associate Director of the Career Center”