Get to Know Jeff Montoya, CC’s New Information Security Engineer

Jeff Montoya brings his years of expertise in information security to CC, helping to protect the institution’s data and technology infrastructure. He joined the ITS division this summer and shares some of the ways he helps keep your information safe, plus where you might find him when he’s not as his desk.

What does your job entail?

I provide risk analysis of the institution’s vulnerability to data or security breaches. This involves assessing CC’s security event logging and monitoring analyzers, the intrusion detection/prevention system (IDS/IPS) and firewall logs, and anti-virus products. I also oversee management and administration to protect the integrity, confidentiality, and availability of information assets and technology

Infrastructures by conducting security audits, developing security awareness instructional material, and coordinating and resolving any incidents of security breach.

How do you think your position will impact CC?

Data is the most valuable asset of any organization and it is important to maintain the integrity of that information. I hope to provide methods for ensuring the integrity of that data and protect the overall infrastructure from malicious attacks.

Where did you work before CC and what where you doing?

Prior to working at CC, I was the network and security officer for the Administrative Office of the District Attorney for the State of New Mexico. I spent 14 years with that organization, starting at a help desk position and advancing to a senior staff member overseeing the entire state’s prosecution infrastructure.

What do you bring to this job?

Security is an ever-evolving landscape. It has become a specialized role that requires a person who easily adapts to change. Taking the time to research these new trends along with a passion for IT are where my strengths reside.

What are some personal or professional experiences you’ve had either at CC or outside of it that play into your current role?

I think most people have had their credit cards or bank accounts compromised at one point in their life. I am no exception and I think those kinds of things make you feel vulnerable once it happens. It becomes more important to be aware of the risks around you, professionally and personally. I would like to share my knowledge about that type of risk with those at CC to help protect themselves.

Who/what was the biggest influence on you?

My former IT director taught me not to fear new challenges and be open to others’ ideas. He is a strong individual who isn’t intimidated by the agendas others might try to impose. He taught me about believing in the simplicity and practicality of the business process.

What have you noticed about CC?

Coming from a government background, it’s quite a different environment. In terms of infrastructure, I see that it’s important to share ideas with other schools and other students. It’s a much more inviting atmosphere.

Tell us a little about your background.

I was born and raised in Santa Fe, New Mexico. It was a great town with a lot of similarities to Colorado Springs. I spent four years living in Denver before returning to New Mexico in 2001. I have a wonderful wife who will be teaching at CC in the Southwest Studies Program. We have a 2-year-old daughter who lights up our life.

What do you like to do when not working?

Mountain biking and playing music (drums and guitar).

Have questions about information security? Or just want to say hello? Contact Jeff: jeff.montoya@coloradocollege.edu.