Get to Know: Kyle Cunningham, New General Manager of KRCC

By Miriam Brown ’21

Kyle Cunningham was named KRCC’s new general manager in September. But he’s not new to KRCC, or to public media, or even to the general manager position.

Cunningham says that “people kind of just fall into public media,” and he was no exception. While studying at Oklahoma State University for his bachelor’s degree in English, he started working at KOSU, the university’s public radio station. After graduation, he started working for KOSU full-time, eventually moving to KRCC to serve as membership manager in 2016, and the interim general manager in January.

“The history of our region, I think it’s very rich, and the idea that I could serve that community in a greater capacity as general manager is something that really appealed to me,” he said. “And I was just having a lot of fun being interim general manager, so I figured, well why not go for the job and see if I can do this?”

For Cunningham, Colorado Springs has been a special place to work and live. He loves being able to take his three dogs on hikes, exploring Old Colorado City with his wife, and meeting a unique mix of residents with adventurous spirits and “can-do” attitudes. He says he feels the energy and growth of Colorado Springs, and he thinks KRCC, as a public media organization, is best poised to match that growth.

“There’s plenty of awesome news outlets out there that do a good job, but I really think that public media stands alone in the sense that it is … truly nonpartisan and really strives to be that space for everyone,” he said. “We bring stories, human stories, stories of our own community, and I’ve always liked that.”

As general manager, he hopes to see KRCC grow in staff, in coverage, and in its ability to reflect the community and meet its needs. As for his goals for himself, he hopes to be at KRCC for a “very long time.”

“I’m incredibly lucky to be where I’m at right now,” Cunningham said. “I’m happy to be part of the Colorado College community, the KRCC community … I’m hoping that I can give back to this community in the same way it’s given so much to me so far.”

To support KRCC, those interested can tune in at 91.5 FM, read news at krcc.org, and donate at krcc.org. Students interested in internships can contact Managing Editor Andrea Chalfin at achalfin@krcc.org.

3 replies on “Get to Know: Kyle Cunningham, New General Manager of KRCC”

1. I continue to grieve for the loss of daytime music after KRCC “went all-talk” a few years ago. It was like “our friend and neighbor” got a night job and we never see her any more….